25 MARCH 2022
FINAL PLENARY TALK
RYOTA KANAI (Araya Inc)
VIDEO: TOWARDS A CONSCIOUS MACHINE
Abstract: In this presentation, we introduce artificial consciousness as a constructivist approach that unpacks existing theories of consciousness and examines the potential for AI implementation of the concepts expressed in these theories. This approach forces researchers to translate philosophical ideas into mathematical and computational terms, thereby revealing the potential functions of consciousness. From this approach, we propose the hypothesis that consciousness has evolved as a platform for general-purpose intelligence. General intelligence can be defined as the ability to generate solutions to new problems by applying knowledge and models learned from past experiences. In this talk, we will specifically examine the ability to build new capabilities by combining pre-trained specialized modules. This approach to building general-purpose intelligence corresponds to the ideas presented by the global workspace theory. This theory assumes that the function of consciousness is to integrate information and combine specialist modules across large systems to achieve higher levels of cognition and awareness. We will present our current implementation of a global workspace with deep learning and explain the practical implications of the architecture proposed by this theory.
FINAL SHORT TALK SESSION (VIDEOS)
- Antonio Bicchi: What is it like to be a bot?
- Tamar Makin: Soft embodiment for engineering artificial limbs
- Maki Sato: Between Authenticity and Artificial — shedding light on a contingency
- Kenjiro Tadakuma: From a Deployable Soft Mechanism Inspired by a Nemertea Proboscis to a Robotic Blood Vessel Mechanism
- Perla Maiolino: Robots with a sense of touch — towards Embodied Intelligence
- PANEL DISCUSSION